Here's our Power Generation & Supply Roundup for the month of December, 2019, with interesting industry drivers, notable merger and acquisition transactions, and upcoming conferences and meetings. Enjoy, and provide feedback on how we can continue to improve!
Industry News and Drivers
Driver: $1.8 Billion Georgia Power Rate Hike Approved by State Regulators, to Address Coal Ash Clean Up
The new revenue will be used for closing 19 of its 29 coal ash ponds.
Based on the approved rates Georgia Power will charge customers an extra $4 monthly by 2022, with an initial $2 hike beginning 2021.
For additional information see: tinyurl.com/GAPowerRateHike
Driver: Proposed Effluent Limitations Guidelines (ELG) Update
The EPA published a draft proposed regulation revising the technology-based effluent limitations guidelines and standards (ELGs) for the steam electric power generating point source category, particularly to flue gas desulfurization (FGD) wastewater and bottom ash (BA) transport water. The stated aim is to achieve greater pollution reductions than the 2015 rule, at a lower cost.
The EPA will conduct an online public hearing about the proposed rule on Thursday, December 19, 2019, at 1:00 PM EST.
For additional information see: tinyurl.com/ELGupdate
The following M&A transactions in the Power Generation and Supply Industry stand out in the month of December:
- Dec. 17, 2019, Tri Global Energy, a leading originator and developer of utility-scale renewable energy projects sold a wind energy project (Woodward Wind Energy) in central Illinois to Denmark-based Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP) the Denmark-based renewable energy specialist focused on clean energy infrastructure, for an undisclosed amount.
- Dec. 10, NorthWestern Energy is preparing to file an application for pre-approval with the Montana Public Service Commission to acquire Puget Sound Energy's 25% interest, 185 megawatts of generation, in Colstrip Unit 4 for one dollar. NorthWestern Energy has also announced its goal to reduce carbon intensity of Montana generation portfolio by 90% by 2045
- Dec. 6, 2019, Clearway Energy, Inc. completed the acquisition of the 527 MW Carlsbad Energy Center from Global Infrastructure Partners III for a purchase price of $184 million.
- Dec. 5, 2019, Chesapeake Utilities Corporation and South Jersey Industries entered into an agreement under which Chesapeake Utilities will acquire SJI subsidiary Elkton Gas, which operates in Cecil County, Maryland. Once the transaction is completed, Elkton Gas will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chesapeake Utilities.
- In Oct. 2018, Denmark-based power producer Ørsted A/S acquired Lincoln Clean Energy LLC, a leading onshore developer with assets primarily in Texas for $580 million. Over the year 2019, areas of the business have been systematically integrated to ensure an effective operating model capitalizing on the capabilities of both companies.
In this over-digitized age, there is no replacement for face-to-face meetings with your prospects and customers! We track meetings of interest to our customers serving the US power generation and supply industry so you won’t miss upcoming meetings and deadlines.
Meetings in January 2020 & February 2020
- SEIA/SEPA Solar, Storage, and Smart Energy Expo Northern California - 2020, Jan 16 - Jan. 17, 2020, San Francisco, California, https://events.solar/exponorth/
- DISTRIBUTECH International - 2020, Jan. 28 - Jan. 30, 2020, San Antonio, Texas, https://www.distributech.com/index.html
- AESP Annual Conference & Expo - 2020, Feb. 17 - Feb. 20, 2020, Anaheim, California, https://www.aesp.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1159040&group=
- SEIA/SEPA Solar and Energy Storage Northeast - 2020, Feb. 19 - Feb. 20, 2020, Boston, Massachusetts, https://events.solar/northeast/
- SEIA/SEPA Solar Power and Energy Storage Mountain West - 2020, Feb. 24 - Feb. 26, 2020, Denver Colorado, https://events.solar/mountainwest/register/
- AWEA Wind Project O&M and Safety Conference - 2020, Feb. 26 to Feb. 27, 2020, Coronado, California https://www.awea.org/conferences/awea-wind-project-o-m-and-safety-conference
- ACAA Winter Membership Meeting - 2020, Feb. 4 - Feb. 5, 2020, Scottsdale, Arizona https://www.acaa-usa.org/events/upcomingmeeting.aspx
Early Bird Registration Deadlines
- Event: SEIA/SEPA Solar and Energy Storage Northeast - 2020
- URL: https://events.solar/northeast/
- Dates: Feb. 19 - Feb. 20, 2020
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Date Early Registration: Jan. 8, 2020
- Event: SEIA/SEPA Solar, Storage, and Smart Energy Expo Northern California - 2020
- URL: https://events.solar/exponorth/
- Dates: Jan 16 - Jan. 17, 2020
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Date Early Registration: Jan. 14, 2020
- Event: ACAA Winter Membership Meeting - 2020
- URL: https://www.acaa-usa.org/events/upcomingmeeting.aspx
- Dates: Feb. 4 - Feb. 5, 2020
- Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
- Date Early Registration: Jan. 23, 2020
None of the information we provide may be taken as legal advice. Please consult an attorney if you require a legal interpretation of this information.
Any information contained on this website or within any attachments is offered without representation or warranty as to its accuracy or completeness and FirmoGraphs, LLC cannot be held responsible for loss or damage caused by errors, omission, misprints or your misinterpretation of such information. Seek competent professional advice prior to relying on or utilizing such information in any manner as any such use is at your own risk.